Monday, November 17, 2008

GUEST BLOGGER: Tis the Season



HUNTING SEASON, that is. I love this time of year. The air gets crisper, the leaves change, and farmers start harvesting their crops. Hunting is my therapy. I love getting out in the morning and watching nature wake up. If you haven't ever done that, I urge you to get out in the woods before sunrise and take it all in. It's God's battery charger.

That being said, my wife was gracious enough to let me go to Montana for 10 days to hunt elk with my Dad. Now, that is a pretty great statement in itself, however Jane is 25 weeks pregnant and we have a 14 month old daughter at home. And that, my friends (and even those who aren't me friends), is an awesome thing. Granted, I had already applied and paid for my elk tag way before we got pregnant, but she still could have made me stay home. Also, I owe a huge THANK YOU to my mother-in-law, who came down to help out while I was gone. So, don't believe what you hear about her...she's okay once in a while. (Love you Kathy!) =)

The best part about hunting elk in Montana with your dad is getting to hang out with your dad for 10 days straight. What an awesome guy! I have always looked up to my dad for a variety of reasons, and getting to hunt together during that time was priceless. I challenge you to share a one room cabin and an outhouse (with no running water or electricity) with anyone for 10 days and still like the person after that time period is up. I can't speak for my dad, but I still like him...maybe even a little better than when we started.

The worst part of hunting in elk in Montana with your dad is a tie between the above referenced outhouse and not seeing a #@*&$! elk for the second year in a row. It seems like the elk know us flat-landers are coming, and take off for Yellowstone. Dad and I hiked our butts off. We hiked all over the place, and saw no elk. Mark my words, one of these days I'm going to come home with one of those suckers. But for now, I am happy to be home with my family, safe and sound. I never thought I could be that homesick. A huge thank you to my very understanding and giving wife. You are my better half.

Here are some pics from the trip!


Also, if you didn't already know, waterfowl and pheasant seasons are here too. Got these beauties last Saturday. Probably the biggest drake mallard I've ever shot. Beautiful birds! I know I have a problem, but it keeps me out of the tavern!

2 comments:

Sara said...

Dan,

Just want you to know that Carter was able to correctly identify that this is a photo of a mallard drake. He is being properly educated in all things duck, and he just asked me a few minutes ago how old he has to be before he can go duck hunting... I told him 12 or 13... he countered with 3. The kid drives a hard bargain.

Mommy on the Fence said...

Hey Bambi-killer...er, I mean Dan...pics aren't too bad, given that your 'better half' is the photographer! Glad you got to enjoy the trip, esp since from here out it'll be difficult if not impossible for you to disappear for 10 days with two little ones to occupy you. :)

your sis-in-law,
J