With the 100 degree and above weather getting started, we had an interesting Saturday learning what parents down in "the south" do when playing outside isn't an option.
We got outside Saturday morning at 8:30 am and took a walk around the block. The innocent little activity left us sweaty, crabby, and not very excited for the rest of the day. Once we convinced Anika to do the stairs "all by herself" (the only thing that seems to get her inside the house these days) we decided the day needed to take a turn for the better.
So we loaded up in the Yukon and drove to Toys R Us. Little did we know that many parents in these parts do the exact same thing. We wandered the pool/outdoor area and Dan looked wide-eyed at the pools. (This was a shocker for me since he is NOT a big swimmer...let's just say that with the beautiful beaches of Hawaii at his toes, he chose to build sandcastles on our honeymoon!) Once we got to the back of the store, Eli and I were choosing a tent/tunnel combo for some indoor play, when I heard a little motorized engine roll by the aisle. As we rounded the corner, I laughed out loud at my very tall husband hunched over trying to steer Anika clear of the center aisle displays as she drove a John Deere Powerwheels tractor! The best part was the look on her face. Her daddy is in for it when she turns sixteen!
Come to find out lots of other parents and children were "test driving" the toys in order to avoid the cloud of humidity outside. We left with a very happy 21 month old, a smiley little 4 month old (after all, there is so much to look at in a store like that), a tent/tunnel combo, a set of Playdough, and new juice and milk bottle "for my babies."
The rest of the day consisted of using the previously mentioned toys, tearing up the living room, convincing Boone to enter the tent, proceed to get stuck and then walk around with the tent in tow behind him as Anika got jerked around inside laughing the entire time! Oh, and thanks for the craft project mom...the "butterbye" turned out really cute after I convinced Anika she needed a nap (to dry!)
Then naps, butterbye included.
Then the "kid-friendly" mall (St. Louis Mills). Not too much to say about the mall except we got quite a few stares for sitting with Anika at a children's table in the food court. Who are these people? Have a little fun with your kids!
What a great day. Inside.
Sunday, June 21, 2009
Dan's Title Suggestion: Too Hot for Fun? I Think Not (Good Thing He's Not My Student)
Posted by
jani
at
7:43 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
I think I'm with Dan... it is a little hot for fun... unless you have some serious A/C or a pool.
I also think it's hilarious that this is "down south," I mean, I guess from MI it is, but get real... when I started reading I thought maybe ya'll took a road trip or something!
We need to get together, before this kid comes out! I miss you!
"y'all?" ...'nuff said.
Post a Comment