Friday, April 18, 2008

Interesting Day for My Favorite Geologist

So, of course we wake easily, after all we have a little one on the monitor. Mostly, though we listen for cries, giggles, and breathing sounds...not rumbling throughout the whole house! To be completely honest, neither Dan, nor I realized it was actually an earthquake until I made it into the car and heard the radio Djs discussing it. I immediately called back home and asked the geologist many questions.

Here's what I've learned:

  • St. Louis sits along a very large fault line...due to "erupt" (probably not the right geological term) anytime.
  • This was not from that line (The New Madrid--this one was the Wabash Valley Dome).
  • We could have more in the coming hours, days...OR it could be a release of pressure which may mean no more shakes for hundreds of years.
  • The midwestern earthquakes are felt more widely because there are fewer fault lines to disturb the shock waves and because the bedrock is limestone.
  • Geology is a tough subject to know a lot about because it covers so much time...basically ever since the Earth was created!
  • My husband is very patient with my ignorance...I could take a few lessons from him in this!
My students were so funny today too. Trying to say that we shouldn't work because they couldn't concentrate in the midst of a natural disaster. Yeah right, it sure wasn't that big of a deal. But prom is tomorrow, so they were a bit distracted.

Lots of prayers that they all make smart choices this weekend.

And no more earthquakes!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope no one judges my geological abilities and knowledge based upon my wife's comments. Volcanoes erupt, not faults, among other comments here.

But, she tries, so I can't FAULT her for that.

-The Geologist.

Mommy on the Fence said...

Nice one, Mr. Rocks for Jocks.

Anonymous said...

haha I love the pun!!

So I don't have a comment for this blog, but I wanted to say that I think you need to get those 7 month pictures on here ASAP!!