Sunday, April 27, 2008

Mom+Wife+Teacher+Photographer-Me

We cannot seem to get our child to sleep on the weekends. Is it the fancy crib vs. the pack-n-play? Is it the quiet house vs. the screaming kids? Is it the peaceful mornings vs. the rush , hustle, bustle, and car ride to the sitter's? Is it mom and dad vs. the sitter? Who knows. We are resigned now to the fact that our poor little girl will not nap on the weekends.

Maybe some good things will come of this. Maybe she sleeps less because she cannot stand to be away from her parents when they are at her beck and call all weekend. Or maybe its true what I read, that sleepless babies sometimes turn out more intelligent because they stay awake to take everything in...learn it all while awake. I don't know...

...what I do know is that I have never been so exhausted (okay, maybe right after I had her.). Tonight after she went to bed I had an upset stomach so I laid back on the couch. I commented to Dan that I couldn't remember the last time I did that. It seems like every waking hour revolves around my various roles. Mom: make sure everything is cleaned up, make sure items for the next "event" (bath, change, playtime, stroller ride, etc) are ready, wash pump parts, do laundry, work the list for the next trip to Babies R Us, etc. Wife: clean the house, make dinner, keep groceries in the house, spend time together, etc. Teacher: get lesson plans ready for the next few days, grade papers, etc. Photographer: make sure editing work is complete, organize old photos and files, work on wedding albums, etc.

Whatever happened to that "me" identity.

This isn't meant to be a negative entry. I feel more content with life than I did when I slept til 1pm on Saturday and spent hours just planning what I should get done that I would often never do til late Sunday night.

Anika+Dan=Happiness

So whatever it takes to get that equation is well worth any loss.

1 comments:

Kathy Fisher said...

I'm impressed! You're a wonderful mommy and I love your equation! You're on the right track and things will get better - I promise! Love you so much. MOM